The Motor Pool division of Facility Management operates a pool of vehicles to rent at economical rates to individuals authorized to travel on official University or State government business.

The Motor Pool serves Dixie State University and other State agencies with a commitment to:

  • Exceptional customer service
  • Providing courteous, timely and cost-effective service
  • Safe, efficient, and cost-effective vehicles

Frequently Asked Questions

What is required to drive / rent a vehicle?

Every person operating a vehicle will need to complete the State of Utah training. See authorized driver setup for further instruction.

How do I reserve a vehicle?

Once certified you can reserve a DSU vehicle through Facilities Management, 652-7550 or by filling out the online form.

Where do I get gas?

You can search for State approved fuel sites on

Who do I contact if I have fueling problems?

Contact the State at (801) 538-3440 or Rob Renzelman (435)652-7559 or (435)522-9745

Can I bring my family, spouse or pets?

Transporting family, friends, pets or other persons who are not state employees or are not serving the interest of the state is considered unauthorized use.

What if I need to pick up or drop off after hours?

  • There are no pickups available after hours. You will need to plan to pick your vehicle up before 5 p.m. the day prior to your departure if you are leaving before 8 a.m. Contact Fleet Manager Rob Renzelman (435)652-7559 to discuss alternative arrangements if needed.
  • To drop after business hours park vehicle in Faculty parking at Facilities, lock the signed trip ticket and book in vehicle and put the keys in the key drop box at the front of the building.

What do I do if I have a mechanical breakdown?

  • For DSU owned vehicles (vehicle ID number starts with DC) please contact the Fleet Manager at (435)522-9745.
  • For State owned vehicles (vehicle ID number starts with FO) please contact State of Utah Vehicle Service Center (855)358-8824 and Rob Renzelman (435) 652-7559 or (435)522-9745 to notify of the breakdown.
  • Call State Travel if you need a vehicle to return to the campus at (801)739-7018 or Rob Renzelman (435) 652-7559 or (435)522-9745

What do I do if I have an accident?

  • Contact the local authorities
  • There is an accident packet in the glove box with information and phone numbers
  • An accident report must be submitted within 24 hours in all of the following instances: A Vehicle vs. Vehicle, Vehicle vs. an Animal or Person, A Vehicle vs. an Object, Vandalism, Any incidents when occurrence of damage is UNKNOWN.
  • Call Sate Travel if you need a vehicle to return to the campus at (801)739-7018 or Rob Renzelman (435) 652-7559 or (435)522-9745

Does the University cover citations?

State vehicle operators are responsible for the payment of fines for any moving and non-moving traffic citations. Under no circumstances will the citation be paid by the University

What are the rental rates?

  • Sedan – .50 per mile
  • Minivan – .50 per mile
  • Suburban – .60 per mile